Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer


George Brown soccer player controls ball in front of Seneca player

It just wasn't the Huskies week last week as Men's Baseball and Men's & Women's soccer each came out on the wrong end of the scoreboard on the road at Seneca.

On Wednesday September 18th, Huskies baseball met the Sting in their first matchups of the season. Coming off of 3-1 record vs Seneca in 2018 the Huskies came into the game confident. Getting down three runs early in the opening frame of Game 1, George Brown chipped away cutting the lead to 3-2 coming out of the 3rd.

Seneca would gain another quick advantage however, rounding another two in the next frame. The Huskies rallied in the top of the 6th behind a home run by Matthew Pasquale, but that is as close as the visitors would get dropping Game 1 by a final score of 5-3.

Game 2 was equally as close. An early high-scoring affair with Seneca up 7-3 in the 3rd, the Huskies were banging at the doorstep with the bases loaded and no outs. After a controversial infield fly ruling and ensuing 15-minute delay, George Brown would only come away with one run, changing the pace of the game. A late rally by the Huskies in the top of the 7th cut the lead to 8-6, but the Sting would stop the rally there coming away with the doubleheader sweep.

The Huskies hit the diamond next against the Durham Lords for their second match-up of the season this Wednesday September 25th at Christie Pits at 6pm and 8pm.

The following day on the soccer pitch, the Women's Soccer team faced an early barrage of shots from a versatile Seneca offense. After two early goals by Olivia Lamacchia and Julianna Cellamare, the Sting controlled much of the ball possession in the first half as well as the scoring line.

The Huskies showed grit and put up a much stronger fight in the second however, playing a more controlled game and limiting Seneca's offensive chances drastically compared to the first half. After a hard fought second 45 minutes of play, Seneca still managed to net two (one penalty shot) for a final score of 7-0, handing the Huskies their second loss of the season.

The George Brown Men faced a hungry Sting who came out of the gates hard and fast, getting on the scoreboard first in the 16th minute of play on a re-directed cross from Michael Washington. But the Huskies pressed on and managed to squeak in the equalizer on a goal from Filipe Vilela, his first of the season, in added time of the first half.

The second half proved to be a completely different affair after the Huskies dropped down to 10-men in the 65th minute after a red card to Zuheib Mohamed, and to 9-men in the 69th minute following a second yellow card to Erasmo Vella. Seneca would take full advantage of the situation and capitalize with 4 goals in the next 20 minutes, closing the game with a 6-1 win.

Our Men's and Women's Soccer teams look to right the ship this weekend on home field with back to back games against Cambrian College on September 28th, and Sault College on September 29th, both at Esther Shiner Stadium. For full remaining season schedule, visit the Men's Soccer Schedule Page and Women's Soccer Schedule Page.